Saindon Island

“We presume that it was around the time that Michel Saindon received his commission as a survyer that he acquired a small island in  the St John River a short distance from his home”.This is how Laurent Saindon began the chapter in his book “Histoire et Généalogie de la Famille Saindon d’Amérique du Nord” on his research and history of the Island.   His research was supported by the following documents:

  • Procuration given to Jean Barabe (10 April, 1788) by the Saindon heirs.
This procuration charged Jean Bernabé living “on the St John Rivier at the place called the Low lands” to make representation to the authorities in order to gain ownership of an island situated “at the place called haut pacque”.  This procuration is accompanied with a sales contract for the island.

  • Letter from Jean Saindon to Jean Barnabé (6 July, 1788) stating that he had learned from François Barnabé that he had not received the letter and the contract.  He requested that he find these documents.

  • Procuration given by the widow Saindon to Jean Saindon“ (6 April, 1790)This procuration charged Jean Saindon, one of the sons of Michel and Marie-Yves, to take the necessary measures regarding Saindon Island. 

  • Description of Saindon IslandLaurent Saindon continued with a description of the the island which “was situated at point where the St John river widened, less than 200 feet from the southern bank and approximately 3-4 miles west of the presumed residence of its last owner. With a length of appoximately one mile (1.6km) and ¾ of a mile (1.2 km) at its widest, it is formed of rich sediment deposited there over the centuries...Its surface is therefore quite smooth.  The soil is very fertile.  We see only prairie, without rocks, without hills, and its area was approximately 100 acres..”

  • Other Owners
After the deportation, from 1763 the island apparently belonged to a William Ferguson and around 1785 his son in law, Lewis Mitchell took claim of the property.  In 1799, the island was granted to Cornelius Thompson and Thomas Duncan Ludelow
  • Hartts Island
“The island is now known as Hartts Island”, Laurent Saindon tells us... “The word Hartts does not seem to correspond to a family name”  writes Mr Allen Dorion, the conservator of New Brunswich’s provincial archives.

That is a resume of Laurent’s research. For more details, consult pages 51-63 of hispublication.

Father Pierre Saindon

  • Son of Félix Saindon and Lumina Dionne, Pierre Saindon was born in Cacouna on 1 August, 1889. We know that he did his classical studies at the Rimouski Seminary from 1904 to 0911 and his theological studies from 1911 to 1915.  He was ordained on May 30 1915 at the Rimouski Cathedral by Monsignor André-Albert Blais.
  • Father  Pierre Saindon had a very unique perspective on the subject of colonization or settlements.  He shared his views in a lecture he gave in June, 1929 to a Congress on Colonization at Rimouski.  For him, a parish priest called to work with settlers was not an ordinary priest.
  • “The priest in a settlement, he said, must be a settler himself”.  According to him, the parish priests of a settlement had to be modest and the churches and presbyteries in these villages, very simple.   
  • It was his opinion that the parish priest was the real leader of the settlement and as such would regularly be called upon to meet with government authorities. Additionally, he must have a good knowledge of administraion.  Pierre Saindon was well aware that, at the beginning of the century, the settlers were poor and the priests of these new parishes would face difficult times.  
  •  Because of that, he recommended to priests to lend a hand.  “The parish priest, he explained, should reduce his expenses or increase his revenues himself by working his own land, a henhouse or a small cowshed, etc, etc.
  • One priciple should guide them :  “do well at little cost”.  It was not surprising therefore to learn that it was Abbot Saindon who, in 1923, was named as director of farming at the agricultural school formed that year at Rimouski by the Seminary leadership and the authorities of the Ministry of Agriculture.  Four years later he was named director of this institution created to form educated farmers. 
  • After 11 years dedicated training a new generation of farmers, Abbot Pierre Saindon was named, on 24 Sep 1937, parish priest at St-Donat in the Matapedia valley.  Before leaving the school he left this final message to the graduating class, which well sums up his thoughts. ``Agriculture, he said, is the real source of strength and good fortune of a country.``
  • After St-Donat, Father Saindon was successively responsible for the parishes of St-Paul-de-la-Croix (1945) and Degelis south of Rivière-du-Loup (1949). He held this post until his death on 6 Feb, 1950.  In recognition of his work in forming thousands of young farmers, a street in city of Rimouski  was named in his honour on June, 1993.

Source : Richard Saindon

Gérard Sindon-Gécin*

  • "A naive and primitive painting" is how art critics have often described the works of the painter Sindon-Gécin. Specialist of Indian ink on white paper, he will paint more than 1000 paintings, many of which have been acquired by the National Gallery and the Musée du Québec.
  • Of humble origins, he was first a brother at the Brotherhood of Christian Schools until he was about 25 years old when he became a lay teacher at the Commission des Ecoles Catholiques de Montreal. Graduated in pedagogy from the Jacques-Cartier Normal School and in psychology from the St-Georges Institute, he is interested in the evaluation and adaptation of teaching methods to children with intellectual disabilities. He studied at Columbia University in New York. He married Jeanne Rho, granddaughter of the famous painter Adolphe Rho, one of the masters of Ozias Leduc; he will have three children, André, doctor, Michèle, executive secretary and Bernard, psychologist.
  • It is at retirement, at the age of 55, that he discovers the painting he had never done before. After experiments with various media, he adopts Chinese ink on white paper. Painting gives him a flourishing he has never known before. At certain times, he will paint almost day and night.
  • Launched by Galerie Dresnere, it will exhibit in Canada, the United States and Europe. His art lends itself well to engraving, it will produce several etchings with the Guild of Montreal.
  • Gécin saw only his right eye because his vision of the left eye was almost zero because of a birth defect. He will end his career as a painter at the age of 75 because a cataract develops in his right eye. He refuses to be operated on fearing to become blind. He will, however, continue "to draw," he said, for his personal pleasure, until he became blind. He died at the age of 92 on August 6, 2000.
  • * Grandson of Augustin Saindon, a native of Cacouna who lived in Ontario for nearly 30 years and changed his name to "Sindon", Gerard adopts the pen name of "Gécin".

Father Émile Saindon

  • Born at Saint-Hilaire, New Brunswick, December 15, 1891, of Benjamin Saindon and Henriette Colin; died suddenly in Cochrane, Ontario, on December 30, 1934.
  • Émile studied at the college of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière (1907-1916), entered the novitiate of Lachine on September 8, 1916 and made profession on September 8, 1917. He pronounced his perpetual oblation at the scholasticate Saint-Joseph in Ottawa, on September 8, 1920, and ordained a priest, in Ottawa, on December 17, 1921, by Bishop Gabriel Breynat, OMI, Vicar Apostolic of Mackenzie.
  • Sent to the James Bay Mission, he resided in Albany, Ontario (1922-1923), Attawapiskat (1923-1928), where he was director (1925-1928), and founded the mission of Moosonee, Ontario (1928-1928). -1934). He was also vicar of the provincial (1929-1934).
  • The father has written in several missionary journals and has published a booklet "En Missionnant". He died while preaching in the Cochrane Church and was buried in the cemetery of the Ville-La-Salle Novitiate. His body was subsequently transported to the Oblate cemetery of Richelieu.
  • The three missions are located at the confluence of three major rivers, tributaries of James Bay, on the Ontario side. This geographical location of these missions is justified by the need to penetrate far inland which are flooded by the tides and they constitute an immense muddy territory impassable to the pedestrian movements in summer.
  •  Reading Father Émile's booklet "By Missioning", we understand better the difficulties encountered by these valiant missionaries: the remote forest complicates the supply of firewood, the transport of green hay can not dry on site because of floods , transport in barge without engine as formerly the mowers of moss on Île Verte, the suffering caused by mosquitoes in "clouds" so thick that they make masses of shadows on the ground, and especially, the character unpleasant and the cruel conduct of the Indians.
  •  Through his research, Father Dubois is able to affirm that the Saindon Lakes were dedicated to Father Émile in recognition of his dedication and courage during the founding of the Moosonee mission.
  • Source: Saindon Émile, O.M.I In Missioning, Ottawa, Law Printing


Jean-Marie Saindon

  • In the 1970s my father, Jean-Marie Saindon, decided to buy land on the first street at Lac Jaune Chertsey to spend the weekend camping with his wife (Mariette Santerre), my six brothers and myself. After one year he decides to build a detached chalet to be more comfortable and to be able to spend all the weekends there as well as the holidays of summer and Christmas.
  • In the following years, the population on Lac Jaune increased very quickly and my father and a few friends formed the Lac Jaune Owners' Association to establish rules for the safety of residents, protect the environment and organize Hobbies.
  • After a few years, Jean-Marie left his job as a heavy machinery operator in Montreal to settle in Lac Jaune to start a residential renovation business; the family stayed in Laval so that the children could finish their school year.
  • When summer comes, the business runs very well and Jean-Marie has a lot of work. He decides to bring his wife and his four youngest children. The three older children rented an apartment in Laval to keep their jobs.
  • It was in 1975 that Jean-Marie decided to buy a group of lands that formed a peninsula on the other side of the lake; the only way to get there is by boat on the water. My father wanted to build a bigger and more comfortable home for the whole family.
  • The following year the path will be made following a request to the developer of the land so that we can start construction work, With the help of his children and several friends, the new house was built in record time.
  • When it was over, Jean-Marie, who was a founding member of the Lac Jaune Owners Association, a member of the Chertsey Optimists, a member of the Knights of Columbus, and a volunteer with several organizations in Chertsey, is organizing a meeting with community leaders. City of Chertsey to have its Saindon Street road named.
  • It is since that time that it exists. Today, at Lac Jaune, there are still some residences and a small private beach; the house that Jean-Marie built at the end of the street on the peninsula is still there.

Source: Robert Saindon


Father Fernand Saindon

  • On October 18, 1956, Father Fernand Saindon, new parish priest of Notre-Dame-des-Monts in Charlevoix, installed himself.
Born in Rivière-du-Loup
  • Born August 17, 1912, child of Pierre Saindon and Marie Dumont, he was baptized the same day in the parish of Saint-François-Xavier of Rivière-du-Loup. He studied at the convent of the sisters of the Good Shepherd at Rivière-du-Loup; his secondary school, at Terrebonne and his classical studies, at the Grand Séminaire de Québec.
  • He was ordained a priest on May 18, 1940 and was a professor at the Grand Seminary for seven years. From 1948 to 1953, chaplain at the Saint-François-d'Assise Hospital then vicar at Saint-Esprit in 1954-1955; second pastor of Notre-Dame-des-Monts from 1956 to August 1963, chaplain at the Collège de Sainte-Foy for two years, at the Regional Chauveau two years and at the residence Sainte-Geneviève, also two years. Now, at the Fathers of the Holy Spirit.
A little cold, but good and sociable
  • His natural distinction and culture made him a priest at first perhaps a little cold, but his kindness and sociability had quickly made contacts easier.
  • He had a great devotion to the Virgin and knew how to communicate it to the souls entrusted to him. He founded several religious movements in his honor. He organized the month of Mary in the church and in the ranks, as well as small pilgrimages with his statue in different homes of the parish. It is to him that we owe the unique fireworks organized in the parish on the occasion of an apotheosis to the Virgin of the Assumption, preceded by a torchlight procession.
  • This love of the Virgin could not help but express herself in a tangible way. That is why, on May 2, 1957, the decoration of the church was started according to the plans and specifications of Mr. Orner Parent, delegate draftsman of the archbishop's palace. The work of painting and drawing of the magnificent image of the Virgin of the Monts, above the Master Altar, was executed by the house "Religious Applied Arts of Quebec".
  • On March 27, 1959 was held the reception of the relic of St. Anne, sent from Rome by Father Forte C.Ss.R. It is deposited in the ecclesiastical archives of the Fabrique.
  • The education of his parishioners
  • Caring for him, Father Saindon, after repeated efforts, obtained that the Ecole Centrale be entrusted to the Sisters of Charity of Saint-Louis-de-France. Enough talented for the arts, he knew how to organize and appreciate at its true value, a play, a sacred concert, a recital of songs.
  • What changes were made inside the church and the presbytery.
  • Father Saindon was a rather authoritarian man; however, he had such an amiable way of asking that the parishioners generously accede to his requests. Thus, the church is enriched with colored windows, at the price of twenty-five dollars a window. The names of the donors are listed under each of them.
  • Under his direction, the roof of the church was completely renovated, the cemetery divided into lots, sold forty dollars each, and the parterre of the presbytery was restored.
Healthy recreation
  • He was very attached to youth. In addition to having procured all the elements necessary for his intellectual development through the regrouping of the rank-and-file schools, to have organized healthy recreation, he founded the Vocations Office on June 5, 1961, under the vice-presidency. of the churchwarden in charge, having as secretary the director of the Ecole Centrale, as treasurer, the president of the league of the Sacred Heart and as advisor, the president of the Ladies of St. Anne.
Toddlers too
  • Toddlers also had their share of attention. In December 1959, in order to enhance the children's blessing at Christmas, a candy dispensation by Saint-Nicolas, personified by Gaston Jean, was held at the door of the church.
  • It was in this year that for the first time the little Missal "Let's pray with the Church" was made available to the parishioners. In anticipation of the liturgical changes that were coming.
  • On the second Sunday of August 1962, priest Saindon announced his departure, having given for six years the best of himself. It was with emotion and regret that the parishioners of Notre-Dame-des-Monts saw the departure of this good and devoted priest, who left the best memory in everyone's heart.
  • I would be remiss if I did not mention here the presence among us, during those years, of this great lady who was her mother. His piety and devotion were for us an example; she left us the memory of a kind, good and distinguished person.
* Excerpt from "La Paroisse aux trois Churches" by Turcotte-Girard
Source: André Sindon


Joseph Saindon (1890-1980)

I was asked to tell you the story of Crèmerie St-Gérard ...
The story of this successful business is first and foremost the story of my ancestors. People who believed in their dream, people determined to relentlessly accomplish the work of a lifetime. And in conditions not always easy.
To tell this story is my way of honoring them tonight. And for that, I need 15 minutes of your attention to sum you up 100 years, are you ready?
Jean-Baptiste, my grandfather, and Philomène
It all started with my grandfather Jean-Baptiste and my grandmother Philomène Côté. They had 9 children, including Joseph my father and Alcide his younger brother. When Jean-Baptiste died at the age of 42, Philomène inherited the small butter factory and farm in St-Arsène, in the Rivière-du-Loup region. Widowed and with 9 children, she needed help with the farm and butter: she married her brother-in-law Alfred Saindon. They had 3 other children.

  • Joseph, my father and Eva
In 1914, when my father Joseph (1890-1980) married my mother Éva Paré (1890-1960), they went to live with their parents, as was the custom at the time. Joseph and Alfred worked at the butter factory.
Three years later, my uncle Alcide married Clarina Laforest. Given that Joseph had started his family with 2 children (Maria and Dolores) and that Alcide had just married, my grandmother Philomene decided to give the farm to my father Joseph. Because Alcide was younger and more educated than Joseph, she gave Alcide the butter factory to work with her.
Joseph, Eva and their children went to live on the farm, which was nearby.

  • From Coaticook to St-Gérard de Magella
A few years later and some minor friction between the two brothers, Joseph decided to sell his land and to get closer to his sister Alice. He bought a farm in Coaticook. The family had grown by 3 other children (Jeanne, Denis and Armand).
Joseph always had the same dream: that of being able to own a butter factory. In 1922, my father found an ad flipping through the newspaper La TRIBUNE. There was a butter factory for sale in St-Gérard-de-Magella, which at the time was called Vaucluse. Vaucluse was the name of the station located in the region of L'Assomption. Joseph went to visit this butter factory and he bought it the same day.
Three weeks later, in early October, after selling his farm and selling it, the family left by train, very early in the morning, from the Eastern Townships for Vaucluse. Before his departure, Joseph had left his household at the depot of the station to be shipped a little later.
After a long drive, the whole family arrived in Vaucluse, via Montreal, with "the train of the trunk". As he was getting off the train, the postilion who was sitting in his little cart, just big enough for him and his bags of trunk, said to Joseph:
"I will send you someone to pick you up." A short time later, here comes a buggy with 2 seats, led by the priest Lachapelle.
After the greetings, the priest corda the 3 older children in the back seat and he took on these knees, one of the babies. Eva sitting in the front seat, took the other baby on her lap. Joseph followed him on foot behind the buggy. Returned to the village, the priest led this beautiful world to the seller of the butter, Mr. Mandeville. We suppose they all slept there.
Butter cream in Vaucluse
The next morning, Joseph and Eva went to the butter factory: there were no stairs to go up to the 2nd floor; there was only one ladder and one hatch. The floor consisted of a fairly large kitchen with a stove, a table and two benches; a small living room and three small rooms ... oh yes, there was also a small corner with a wooden bench.
After findings, Joseph tells the seller:
"Do you know a carpenter in the parish because I want to install a door and a staircase to go upstairs?"
Joseph had a little money to pay for this work, the fruit of his auction.
As there was no bed, with the help of Madame Mandeville, Éva began to make straw mattresses with yellow cotton and straw she had asked the neighbors, to sleep the children and they same.
The household arrived at the station 2 weeks later. When the work was finished and after discussing it with Eva, Joseph went to see the owner of the general store to ask for credit until spring. Joseph was going to the yard, he could pay for it on his return.
Time has passed, the family has grown by 5 other children (Thérèse, Gérard, Gilles, Marthe and Pierre).
Joseph has grown old ... he is thinking of the future.
Pierre and Gilles run the butter factory
In 1960, my brother Gilles and I took over the management of the butter factory of our father.
The first 3 years, we followed the routine of the father. Then, with great enthusiasm, we formed a transportation company to collect the milk in a can from the producers and to deliver the butter, in grocery stores and chain stores of the region, and Montreal.

  • Beginning of the cheese factory
In 1972, we started making cheddar cheese. In 1974, producers had a lot of trouble selling their milk, they had to throw away the surplus to meet their quotas. To solve this problem, the Quebec Ministry of Agriculture and the Canadian Dairy Commission asked us to make European-style cheese, with their financial assistance, knowing that I had a Master Cheese and Buttermilk training.
It was a good idea because on the one hand we used surplus quota milk and on the other hand, we could fill a demand from consumers who wanted to buy butter and "fromage frais" of the European type.
Pierre is recruiting a Swiss cheese maker
In 1974, I left for the first time in France, determined to succeed and make cheeses of the European type. I was one of the pioneers in Quebec and Canada. On the third trip I was going to buy machinery, I asked the salesman if he knew a good cheesemonger who would like to work with us in Quebec and settle there.
A few months later, I received a call from a Swiss cheese maker telling me that it might interest him. Then he came to visit the company and he accepted my offer.
"But ...", he says "there is a problem, I am married and I have 4 children". After a few minutes of reflection, I replied:
"For me, there is no problem! ".
I immediately called Mr. Choquette, the president of the Canadian Dairy Commission, telling him that I had hired a Swiss cheese maker and that he would be coming with his whole family. I told him :
"Is there any way they can get a visa quickly?"
He replied, "We'll try to fix that, Mr. Saindon."
As this family needed to stay, I bought from the Caisse populaire, a house for them in St-Gérard. I asked my man to do everything to tinker with their taste. I also bought a stove, a fridge, some beds and I pledged to cover all the expenses of this house as long as he was my employee. What he was from 1978.

  • Pioneers
To conclude, my cheese-maker and I were deans in Quebec in the manufacture of cheese of the European type ... Tomme, St-Paulin, Switzerland, Fontal, Fontina, Gouda and Havarti were made, because I went to Denmark accompanied by my cheese maker, to have the specific technology of this type of cheese.
The Golden Lily
Crèmerie St-Gérard Inc. was awarded in 1982 and in 1983, the LYS D'OR, a symbol of superior quality for its semi-firm cheeses. The company grew so much that it hired nearly 50 employees who trained as labor unions. Unfortunately, we have been unable to function with this new situation. We sold the company to AGROPUR.

  • A great success
In 1984, at the time of the sale, the company made 5½ million pounds of butter and 2 million pounds of cheese annually. In 24 years, the annual turnover of Crèmerie St-Gérard Inc. has increased from $ 250,000 to $ 15,500,000.
Crèmerie St-Gérard Inc. has been a great success for the region. It was the result of a lot of work but also passion, surpassing, encouragement and especially support from our families.
I am grateful to my grandfather Jean-Baptiste and my father Joseph, for allowing me to be the 3rd generation of Beurrier in Quebec.
- Research: my father (90 years) throughout his life and my sister Maria (97 years).

Pierre Saindon

Father Lucien Saindon

A respected priest ...
This is what can be deduced from the meeting of two people who knew her, one who remembers, even if she was only six years old at the death of the parish priest of Lamèque, how much the parishioners lived a deep mourning. Another who knew him "during his lifetime" tells us that he had made sure that each family had his "portrait" in sight in their house, which he checked during the parish visit! He gave the picture, but sold the frame whose fruit was poured to his good works!
Réal Saindon and his wife Lise Bergeron and André Sindon and Louise Camirand collected this information after the 2009 CMA program of the Association. They had noted a reception center named "Les Residences Lucien Saindon Inc.". Having decided to extend their stay, why not learn more about this Lucien Saindon to add to the heritage of Saindon.
At the residence we learn that she was named in honor of Lucien Saindon, pastor of Lamèque from 1950 to 1967. We are told that usually there was a painting of the priest at the entrance of the residence, but that She had been on loan to the church as part of the 2009 CMA. We are going there to learn that she is at school. We meet Ms. Lanteigne, who speaks to us a great deal about the priest and we find the painting among others in the framework of a magnificent exhibition of local painters
This is where we learn the story of the "portrait" and the frame.
It was a priest who, it seems, was getting what he wanted. It was enough for him to "talk to the sermons," we are told. The sisters had a summer villa that the priest often appropriated ... it seems?
He had changed the name of the parish and bought two paintings of the famous painter Claude Picard in the region to illustrate the new term.
His tombstone tells us that he was born in St-Hilaire du Madawaska on May 15, 1908.
At the Center for Acadian Studies at the Université de Moncton, where we will be doing research on the Saindon afterwards, we learn that his parents were Wilbrod Saindon and Odile Albert, after having been secretary of the bishop of Chatham, He served as the Director of the Bathurst Retreat House and pastor of the parish of Nask Creek, NB, he had been appointed pastor of the parish of Lamèque where "he finished the interior of the church in an artistic way, giving it a stamp of grace and piety, "reads a pamphlet published by the diocese of Edmundston.
In 1948 he was appointed editor of the Diocesan Ordo, replacing his uncle Benjamin, who had already been mentioned in an earlier Lineage.
He died suddenly on July 18, 1967. "His funeral was imposing having attracted a crowd of people from all walks of life," reads the same booklet.

André Sindon


Father Joseph-Cléophas Saindon

Saindon, May 26, 1919 ...
Thus, in the first quarter of the 20th century, a letter sent to a parent by any resident of a small village in the Matapédia Valley in Quebec could begin.
The municipality of the village of SAINDON was indeed created on March 28, 1917, when the parish Sainte-Marie-de-Sayabec is detached, its urban part which then becomes the village of Saindon. The locality is named in honor of the first pastor of the place, Father Joseph-Cléophas Saindon.
  Let's talk first about the character who is behind this toponym. Joseph-Cléophas Saindon was born in Cacouna November 3, 1866. He is the son of a farmer, Félix Saindon and Philomène Rouleau. After a stint at École Normale Laval (1886-1889) and studies in theology at the Grand Seminary of Rimouski (1889-1893), he was ordained a priest in Rimouski on May 28, 1893.
 Because of his training both as a priest and as a teacher, Joseph-Cléophas Saindon was first appointed assistant director at the Petit Séminaire de Rimouski. Then, in 1895, he became vicar of Cacouna.
 The following year, he is called to found the parish of Sayabec in the Matapedia. With a group of settlers, he undertakes the construction of religious buildings. Subsequently, he opened two teaching houses.
The least we can say is that the cu-re Saindon is persevering. When the first chapel was destroyed by fire on August 17, 1897, he rebuilt a larger one. It was also razed by flames on April 17, 1898. It was rebuilt again and in 1903, priest Saindon began the work of a large stone church.
 Once again, he is not to be defeated when this temple is destroyed by a fire caused by lightning in 1929. This time, on the other hand, he draws up the plans of a church deemed to be fireproof by being almost exclusively stone, concrete and steel!
 In a book published in 1922 and devoted to the Matapedia Valley, Father Joseph Désiré Michaud describes the village of Saindon:
 "Today," he wrote, "it is a parish of more than 500 families, more than 300 of which are grouped in a village crossed by a railway and recently erected as a municipality under the name Village Saindon.
 There is a stone church, a girls' boarding school run by the Daughters of Jesus, a good school for boys, a municipal aqueduct, macadamized paths from one end of the parish to the other, etc. "
 Father Saindon remains stationed in the village just over 45 years old, until his death at the presbytery of Sayabec on August 26, 1941.
On the public administration side, the first mayor of Saindon village, Louis-Philippe Joubert, was elected on May 5, 1917. In all, he will serve three terms for a total of 23 years.
 At the beginning, all the official documents bear the title of "Municipalité du Village Saindon", then in the 1930s, we change this inscription to that of "Municipality of the Village of Saindon, Sayabec. "
 Soon, we only talk about Sayabec, a derivative of the word SAYBAK from the Micmac Indian language meaning "obstructed river". The old name of the village Saindon belonged to history. Today, only Saindon street in Sayabec recalls this period.
 Bibliographical references:
GAGNÉ, Jean-Claude et al. I tell you Sayabec, Sayabec, Centennial Celebrations Committee 1994, 278 p.
FORTIN, Mgr Alphonse, Album of the Anciens of the Seminary of Rimouski, Rimouski, Imprimerie Gilbert editor, 1940, 500 p.
MICHAUD, Joseph-Désiré, Historical Notes on the Matapédia Valley, Val-brillant, La Voix du Lac Editor, 1922, 241
Richard Saindon

Achille Saindon et Henriette Caron

In 1884, Achille, Henriette and their 7 children left Cacouna and boarded a freight train heading towards Concordia, Kansas. Soon after, they moved to Zurich on September 15. It is reported that, in 1880, 8112 persons were living in Zurich, where you could find a post office, a catholic church and a school.

    Achille took a claim located 2 miles west and 2.5 miles north of Zurich where he built a sod house. The family lived there until 1898 when they built a lumber house (north of the sod house). The last 8 children were born in those houses between 1895 and 1900. They were known as the biggest family of the county. In 1905, Achille and Henriette had 21 grandchildren all under 8 years of age. 

    During those days, Achille did own 960 acres of land. With his sons, he planted as much as 400 acres into wheat. He bought six farms around Zurich and owned 2 houses in Zurich.
    Achille and Henriette were known to be a happy couple. Achille would tease a lot. They were both kind and loving people. Achille died on March 10, 1924. The farm was then divided among the 4 younger sons. In the 1930's, three of them moved to Colorado and the land was no longer in the Saindon family. 
    Henriette stayed with each of the children who lived near Zurich, spending several months at one home and then moving to another home. She did live most of the time, however, with her daughters Laura and Celina. 
    One of her grandson, Tad, remembered receiving a peppermint candy each time he would button his grandmother's hightop shoes. Henriette passed away on May 4, 1935 at the home of her daughter Laura (Sister Veronica Roy's grandmother).
    In the 1990's, the descendants of Achille and Henriette totalized 16 children, 96 grandchildren and 265 great grandchildren.
    As all pioneers, the Saindon of Kansas knew hardwork. They surely believed in God's providence to help them feed their families.

    *Source : ROY, Veronica. "Our Saindon Cousins", 1991, pp. 23-26.


"Jake" Saindon

    Left Quebec in 1875 and went to work probably at David Saindon (Beaverville Illinois) , his cousin in the second degree .
In 1880 he went to Kansas and acquires a farm in Logan County end then,in 1885,  a lot for forestry development in Graham County . He planted 12,500 trees. He later became owner of large areas of land . He retired in Damar because of family conflicts and poor health. He died a poor man, age 83 years, suffering from kidney failure. He is buried in the cemetery of Damar between two trees without monument  
    Here is what Moose Saindon dsaid of him after Jake retired : "Grandfather Jake had things set up so he could live like a southern plantation owner attire: white Panama hat, white dress jacket, dark trousers, and a walking cane. He always had mints in his pocket for grandchildren. He was a kind, soft-spoken man if you could understand French. I remember him as one of the kindest men I ever knew. But he had to toe the line with the step-grandmother."
    Felix's daughter Arlene had much the same memories: "[Jake was] very jolly; very quiet; he had a wit and because he was quiet, when he said something it was funny; he was a very nice gentleman; he always wore a gold watch with a chain; he wore a vest; he had a mustache; he was a very thin man, and was always cold". She went on to say "Jake tried to speak English because he liked his grandchildren so much. He spoke very broken English."
    About Eugenie, Arlene said: "Grandma was something else ! She wasn't going to speak English no matter... Don't talk to her if you're going to speak in English. She wore a garter, and she'd drink a little wine and dance for us. She'd pull up her dress so you could see her fancy garter, which she wore below her knee."
    * Source : SAINDON, Robert A. The Man in the Unmarked Grave, 2005, pp. 14, 19 et 114.


Sr Veronica Roy

      Sister Veronica Roy was born Ila Mae Jean Roy on December 28, 1939 at the family farmhouse at Damar, Kansas. She received her grandmother Laura's middle name "Mae" and "Jean" from her father John and her great-grandfathers, Jean-Baptiste Roy and Jean-Baptiste Morin.
    She entered the Congregation of St. Joseph, in Concordia, KS on September 8, 1958 at 19 years old. She received the name of Sister Veronica Mary Roy. She pronounced her perpetual vows on March 19, 1963 at Nazareth Motherhouse, in Concordia, KS.
    In 1964, she started practicing as a registered dietician after completing her studies at Marymount College in Salina, KS and an internship in Cincinnati, OH. She obtained a master's degree in nutrition in 1981 from Kansas State University. She also completed a degree in Pastoral Ministry in 1991.
    Her first assignments were to the hospitals at Concordia, KS and Belvidere, IL. Since 1981, she devoted her time between parish ministry and dietetics consultation to rural health care facilities at WaKeeney, KS. She became the pastoral associate with residence at both parish homes of neighboring parishes of New Almelo and Logan KS in August 1990.
    * Source : ROY, Veronica. Our Saindon Cousins, 1991, p. 213.


Zoël Saindon

Dr. Saindon (1919-1998), married to Jacqueline Boutet, was born in Bathurst, New Brunswick. He did his classical course in Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatiere and his medical studies at Laval University. He practiced medicine in Quebec for a few years before going on to improve his thoracic surgery in Philadelphia. Until his death, he practiced in Lachute.
From 1966 to 1979, he was elected Liberal MP. During this time, he was also Mayor of Lachute from 1964 to 1975 and from 1979 to 1983.
During his fifteen-year tenure, the following achievements were made: municipal park development, construction of the Barron and McGibbon bridges, annexations of Ayersville and St-Jerusalem, reconstruction of downtown, construction of fifty-seven dwellings at the Place Saindon in Ayersville.
Dr. Saindon was often quoted on the front page of the local newspaper in Argenteuil and was the subject of a great celebration of friendship and recognition in 1988.

Benjamin Saindon

 Benjamin was educated at the small school of his native village (1927-1934), then his classical studies at the college of Ste-Anne-de-La-Pocatière (1934-1942), (B.A. Laval). The young Benjamin Saindon then did his theological studies at the St-Coeur-de-Marie seminary in Halifax (1942-1946). He was then ordained a priest by His Excellency Marie Antoine Roy, Bishop of Edmundston, in the church of St. Anne, his native parish.

The new ordained was then appointed vicar at the parish of St-Basile where his uncle Benjamin Sr. was parish priest (1946-1952); then transferred to St-Leonard (1952-1956). Appointed parish priest of the tiny parish of Connors where he will remain from 1956-1959, he will be promoted to the parish of St-André de Madawaska, which he will lead for ten years (1959-1969). During the period of his administration of this parish he took a year "sabbatical", respite in other words, to go to do specialized studies in catechesis at the Institute of Catechesis Lumen Vitae in Brussels, Belgium (1963-1964 ).
After approximately ten years of fruitful ministry at St-André (1959-1969), Father Saindon was transferred to Kedgwick Parish, Restigouche, where he remained until 1973 when he took over the parish of St. -Jacques of Madawaska, parish in full demographic development, industrial, etc. (1973-1980).

    * Source : LANG, Ernest ptre. Clergé du diocèse d'Edmundston, Nouveau-Brunswick.